Monday 16 January 2012

How To: Pit an Apricot


You may remember my delicious Spiced and Boozy Apricots.. If not, get on that! They're amazing. 
Apricot season still has a little while to go, so get preserving! That way you can eat them later, whilst others are only dreaming of stone fruit.

I recently found myself in possession of some amazingly ripe and delicious apricots. I figured I might as well preserve some more seeing as I already ate my last batch. It also gave me the opportunity to show you how to pit an apricot but still maintaining its shape.

I know, not very boozy.. but I did have a beer while I was doing it (Warning! More than one beer and sharp knives DO NOT MIX!!!)

So here 'tis:

1.  If you look at an apricot, you can see a distinct rib down one side that runs from the place where the stalk was to the base. The main thing to remember is not to cut past the end of the rib at the base. If you do, your apricot may split in two during the next step.

Stop here!

So using a sharp knife, cut down this line.



2.  Prize open the apricot gently. You will notice the seed will pull away from one side of the flesh. Place your knife inside the opening and loosen the seed from the side it remains attached to. Then place your knife at the top (just behind where the stalk used to be) and simply 'pop out' the seed with a gentle push.





Pretty easy hey? 

Catch you soon for much boozier adventures!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment