Monday 9 January 2012

Bundaberg Rum: A Bartenders' Opinion and the Public's Choice



So here we go.. I’m diving into a big one!

This is a subject that can often divide bartender and customer. It is of course Bundeberg Rum.

Many of my former colleagues would, at reading the title, decide to skip this one and wait for my next post. Or they may read on with baited breath to see how far I will go in bagging out the old Queensland Icon. I don't intend to promote or disparage the drinking of 'Bundy'. I really just want to give you all the info about the rum itself and the reasons bartenders will try and steer you to something else.

Rum is a spirit made from fermented molasses (a bi-product of sugar production) or sugar cane juice (pressed from sugar cane). As it is most often and easily made from molasses, it makes sense that the places where most rum is made are close to sugar cane growing localities. Bundaberg, QLD is a sugar production mecca, so what else would you do with all that bi-product? Make rum of course!


The Bundaberg Distillery has been producing rum since 1888, so you figure they know their stuff. Not only this, but the large quantities of it that are drunk around the country and for so many years has secured the rum as an Australian icon. Not to mention some of the hilarious advertisements they have put together that target the Aussie larrikin (one we all see in ourselves.. even just a little).






That doesn't mean it's all good. A certain stigma is attached to the consumers. Almost all pubs around Australia would pour you a Bundy & Coke if you asked for a rum, and pub culture is often associated with.. well I don't know how else to say it.. Bogans.
I love the pub, and I am a self-proclaimed metro-bogan. A crazy hybrid of the cultured city folk that grew up in the country. I get the best of both worlds. I can drink schooners in the pub and Manhattans at my favourite speakeasy-esque joint.
I have to be honest with you. I don't mind drinking Bundaberg Rum at the pub, because I'm at the pub!
For the most part, the bad name that rum gets is mostly due to its affect on those who drink it. Aggressive and violent behaviour is a tell-tale sign of many drinking rum. This isn't a Bundaberg Rum thing. There have been cases all over the world where rum has been a factor in violent and anti-social behaviour. I couldn't find any hard scientific evidence, but the social stigma attached to rum-swilling tradesmen may be a little hard to visualise if you're not from Australia. 


Take this for example (These images were taken from the Facebook site known as Bundaberg Rum Appreciation Society):




Or this:




Or even this...




You can probably see why people have certain ideas when they hear the brand name..

Have you as a customer ever been to a bar and asked for a Bundy & Coke, and had a bartender try and steer you to a better (and often more expensive) rum?
This is most likely due to to the images (as seen above) that are conjured in a bartender's mind about how your demeanour may change after drinking a few "rumbos", and even how you may act towards other guests.
There is another very important reason: after tasting rum from other English, Spanish and French settled islands you may begin to notice that Bundaberg Rum actually tastes bad in comparison. So maybe take his/her advice next time and try something new, as long as he/she is nice about it..


This brings me to my next point..

I cannot stand a bartender that alienates the customers!


I have, in the past, been guilty of 'rum superiority complex' as I like to call it. Not only did I look like a wanker, but I lost customers who inevitably told someone about the rubbish service they received at Bar X, inciting more people to patronise somewhere else.
The amazing thing about hospitality is that you, the customer, hold the key to a bar's success and word-of-mouth is a very powerful marketing tool. 
Try not to be too hard on them though.. most of us (I still count myself in the guild) are just extremely passionate about what we do, and that can come off as rude or pushy sometimes. But we don't really mean it! Promise! The loathing most bartenders feel for Bundaberg Rum can sometimes make them more hastily rude than usual, but we only want your taste buds to be satisfied. 


In Ireland, if a person walks into a pub and asks for a Guiness and the pub only serves Kilkenny, that person would turn on their heel and walk to the next pub, just for a pint of his favoured brew. I wouldn't call them crazy. I'd say "this is someone who knows what they like, and isn't willing to settle for anything else".


I have worked in quite a few bars in Brisbane (Bundaberg Rum's home-state capital) that don't even have a bottle anywhere in the bar. This is a sign of changing attitudes towards rum and a general knowledge boost of rum's customer base. I have also had people, when told that the bar doesn't stock it, walk out to find a venue that does. I think this is an incredibly admirable trait and brand loyalty is something Bundaberg Rum have developed very well. I feel they should be commended for that. 


I urge you, if you like Bundy there is a really good chance you will like other rums too. Just because you can't taste them as heavily through the coke, dry or ginger beer doesn't mean they are less potent, just more refined. 
Or if you are a loyalist, I say good on you for sticking to your guns. Do remember that Bundaberg Rum has been moving in a more refined and dynamic direction in the last few years. So maybe try some of their rum aged in port barrels or a 5 times filtered white rum! Maybe after these you'll be more adventurous and try something new.


I haven't tried the port barrel aged "Master's Collection No. 2" yet, but I'll try and find some and let you know how it goes!


So... Do you like Bundaberg Rum? Do you avoid it? Agree or disagree with what's been said? 
Comment below if you like. This was an article that took a long time to get 'just right' and it's always nice to know what you guys think.


xx

8 comments:

  1. (After waiting with 'baited breath' as I read through your article, sorry Tara!)

    "I couldn't find any hard scientific evidence":
    I'm glad you included this statement. There is actually no research (as far as I know) suggesting that rum is more likely to cause violence than any other type of alcohol. I mean, how could it? It is the alcohol which fuels the chemically induced behaviour change, not what it's made from. This may be a misconception due to the fact that people may associate certain types of bogans with domestic violence, and also with drinking Bundy Rum.

    There is, however, definitely a stigma of rum drinkers being more violent (maybe due to the misconception just mentioned); so regardless of whether or not rum causes violence, it's the fact that people BELIEVE that it causes violence which gives it the bad name.

    I don't mind the odd Bundy & Coke (as well as other cheap, harsh tasting dark rums with coke), because you can actually taste the rum in it. If you are going to drown out a spirit with something as strong tasting as Coke, then it had better be good and harsh so the drinker can actually taste what they have paid for.

    If you are going to mix with something other than Coke, then you can finally appreciate the refinement in these 'better' rums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coxy, thank you very much for your input!

    I completely agree that there are misconceptions surrounding the source of violence in rum drinkers. In fact I have seen my share of alcohol fuelled violence in venues that don't even serve Bundaberg Rum!
    This part of the post was only supposed to give people some context as to the negative associations to Bundaberg Rum. I don't personally believe that it is the source of all our worldy alcoholic problems. I could go on for hours about that!

    I do agree that drowning a spirit in Coke can be close to a sin, but there are many dark rums with just as much balls but half the burn of Bundaberg, such as Appleton Estate VX, Bicardi 8, Havana Club Especial and Pampero Especial. All of these can be served with coke and with/without a slice of lime and still give you plenty of the punch you're looking for.

    To your final point, I completely agree that mixing rum with anything but coke can have a good effect! My choice is cloudy apple juice or ginger beer. Both are delicious and compliment a refined rum in their own way.

    Bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like rum, I like Bundy, I also like other rum's out there too but I find if it's a mixing dark rum I'm after then it has to be Bundy.

    Would I shot or drink Bundy neat?... I have... but I would'nt reccomend it.

    Some of the Appleton Estate rum's are a damn fine drop but I think they would be ruined if mixed with coke or anything for that matter, best to enjoy neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article!

    I use Bundy as a mixer because there are plenty of rums out there that tastes just fantastic on the rocks.

    For one at a reasonable proce I'd recommend Pussers.

    If you're going to drink it with Coke.... why waste good rum? You wouldn't mix an 18 year old single malt Scotch with Coke, why do it with rum?

    Incidentally, in my time as a barman, short though it was, I did find Bundy Rum drinkers to be more.... painful. I reckon this has to do with sugar. Lots of sugar in rum, and then lots in the Coke. You pump your kids full of sugar and see what happens. Same goes for adults I reckon. That's just my totally un-scientific opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Canadian that has enjoyed Caribbean rum on many islands AND visited the Bundaberg distillery in the flesh, I can honestly say, with a totally clear conscious, that Bundy rum has a very strange and not pleasant taste. Most of the world's rum drinkers would readily say that Bundy rum is quite horrible. I won't go that far but I will say that even their special editions are strange. Bundy lovers need to broaden their horizons and learn that even mass produced rums taste better than Bundy. (Sorry QLD buddies...)

    I suggest trying Cuban, Bermudan and Jamaican rum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My go to rum is Havana Club (typically H.C. 3 Anos or H.C. Especial), or Santiago De Cuba. I happened across this as it's hard to find decent entry-level rums available in clubs/pubs (although I do spend more time where stocks are varied inevitably I find myself low in options.

    By chance I picked up a 6 pack premix of Bundaberg rum & a flask (as a test) & I agree with your sentiment it is one of those Rums with a strong punchy flavor when in strong mixers (cola). On the up side it lacks the "burnt" flavours of Bacardi or the overspiced character of Cap. Morgan's.

    For now it seems I just can't substitute my Cuban Rums.

    Chao.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to like Bundy rum. I grew up in Queensland in the 70's and 80's less than 80km (as the crow flies) from Bundaberg. One of our school excursions was a trip to a Bundaberg sugar mill. When I reached drinking age I tried it of course, but never really took to it and I didn't know why. Scotch became my go-to, and later it was bourbon. Recently I got a bottle of "original" to maybe remember older decades. Boy was I disappointed. The horrible flavour reminded me of nothing more or less than chemical waste. Now I'm starting to understand that only a small percentage of the population react to artificial flavorings this way and that I may actually be one of them. But how does the distillery manage to evoke those flavours? I can't believe that they would actually use artificial flavours when molasses is all that is needed. Oh, maybe aging in molasses barrels is too hard for them, perhaps.

    Don't get me wrong - I have lots of rums on my shelf, including some really odd spiced ones like 'Old J', but none of of those taste anything like chemical effluent.

    If I'm right, then 90% of population think that Bundy is just a rum, while the remaining 10% think you might be trying to poison them - those of us that react badly to artificial flavour compounds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! So, i lirerally just googled the words "Bunderburg Rum and violence in Men" and this post came up. I had never heard anything aboht Rum making people more aggressive. But my partner who usually only ever drinks beer and is normally a calm not aggressive man has had 2 major violent episodes this month. Not towards a human but just 2 massive aggressive hissy fits aboht small things to the point where he has thrown and smashed things and punched walls multiple times and broken his hand. In years of marriage i have never seen anything out of him even close to this. I was lying in bed just before and thinking about what could have triggered these episodes. Then it clicked to me that someone gave him a 6 pack of bunderburg rum a month ago and on both occasions he drunk 3 cans. He never usy drinks these. Coincidence? Im not too sure

    ReplyDelete